Pads or tampons – which is best?
Really, the best option for you is the one that you find most comfortable and most effective.
So in this post we’ll look at the pros and cons of each.
Remember: The best period care product for you will depend on your personal preferences, your lifestyle, and the length and the flow of your periods.
Some studies suggest that tampons are the most commonly used period products. If the majority of women prefer using them, then they must bring some benefits!
- Tampons absorb menstrual blood before it leaves your body.
- They stay in place, no matter how much you move – This makes them a great choice if you have a physically active lifestyle, particularly if you enjoy sports, dancing, or swimming.
- Tampons are small and discreet enough to carry around with you in your pocket or purse.
- Many women find tampons so inobtrusive that they forget they’re wearing them.
Despite being widely used, there are some downsides to tampons.
- Toxic shock syndrome, a rare but potentially life-threatening bacterial infection – This can be caused from using tampons that are too absorbent for your needs.
- Overly absorbent tampons can cause vaginal irritation and dryness
- Some women find them difficult, or even distressing, to use at first. Inserting them can take some getting used to, and it may take a while before you can wear them comfortably.
- Tampons are disposable. Once you’ve used one, that’s it. It’s done. Though tampons can be made from natural and sustainable materials such as cotton, their disposable nature still carries an environmental impact.
- Tampons with applicators also increase the waste, especially as some have single-use plastic applicators.
- You’ll have to buy new tampons each month. As a result, tampons may not be the most effective form of period care.
Pads are usually the starting point for most when they first start their periods, for good reason.
- Pads are very easy to use. They don’t come with the same learning curve as tampons – most girls and women can start using them without any help or guidance.
- Pads are also easy to keep track of. It can be hard to tell when you might need to change your tampon. But it’ll be pretty obvious when it’s time to change your pad.
There are no risks of toxic shock syndrome with pads.
As long as you change them when you need to, there’s less risk of irritation.
- If you’re unsure how heavy your flow, you can use a more absorbent pad without worrying about any negative side effects.
- You can buy reusable pads – you can buy one set, wash them whenever you need to, and you’ll never have to buy another sanitary pad again. Read our full guide to washing reusable sanitary pads for more information.
- Because reusable pads are an option, they can be a more cost-effective and environmentally friendly form of period care.
- Reusable pads are also available in varied colours and patterns.
Browse our complete range of reusable sanitary pads for more information on how they work.
Unlike tampons, pads absorb menstrual blood only after it’s left your body.
- They can be impractical if you’re swimming or bathing.
- Pads can move around after you’ve applied them, which may make them unsuitable if you’re dancing or playing sports.
- Some sanitary pads are bulky and uncomfortable. They might simply feel unpleasant to wear.
- Some pads are made from synthetic materials and make use of certain harsh chemicals that could lead to irritation.
However, if you choose a pad made from soft and natural materials, you may find them every bit as unobtrusive as a tampon.
Comfortable and Eco-Friendly Reusable Pads From The Conscious Parent
We make our reusable sanitary pads from soft and natural materials, without any potentially harmful chemicals. They’re kind to your body while remaining reliably absorbent.
Also, as they’re reusable, they’re much better for the environment. They produce no waste, and because you can wash them at low temperatures, they don’t use much energy either.
Our reusable sanitary pads can be a lot more affordable than disposable pads and tampons too. Buy one pack and, so long as you take care of them properly, you’ll never have to buy any more ever again.
Browse our complete range of reusable sanitary pads.